Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Contract

My best friend and I are both in the market to lose some weight this year. We've both been on the getting healthy journey for years now and we both had some major setbacks in 2010. I had my out of commission injury and the stresses that come with that and she discovered she has aversions to foods and has had to COMPLETELY overhaul her diet. On top of that we both had some very emotional, stressful situations with our respective families as well as jobs. 2010 definitely was not a banner year. Also, I personally feel as if I've not been "in the game" since June of 2010 (that's when my injury occurred). I'm trying to find my way back and making progress but I'm not there yet.

So after a lengthy discussion on IM (as we live literally on opposite sides of the country) we decided enough was enough. 2011 was going to be the year we finished. Because you know what, we're tired! We're tired of thinking about it, wishing for it and TALKING about it. We just want to get there and start the next phase of our lives.

Which brings me to: the contract. I don't know how it started but all I know is that after our IM discussion I wrote a contract. It's pretty severe too. There are penalties and promises and dates and exact number amounts. It's a 2 parter actually. The first part of the contract ends July 1, 2011 and the second half takes us to November. Anyway, the first half of the contract indicates how much we want to lose by July 1 and what happens if we don't. Long story short, money will exchange hands, egos will be deflated :)

We signed this contract February 11, 2011 which was exactly 20 weeks from July 1, 2011. My goal is 20 pounds. Hard? Yes. Doable? Absolutely. The thing is 2 days after I commit and sign this thing, I got my sickness. The same sickness that is still around some 2 weeks later.

I'll be honest, I'm a little discouraged and anxious at the "waste of time" but there's nothing I can do. I can't get that time back. I can only move forward. I mean, in all honesty, it's going to happen again. Whether it's another cold, or headache, or bruised appendage, something will happen in my life to throw me off course. To make me miss a workout or forget to pack a lunch or not be prepared. Part of the journey is learning how to deal with the twists and turns. Learning how to adapt. Because if I stop at every single hurdle that comes at me during the next 18 weeks, then I WILL fail.

And failure is not an option. I'm on a very specific saving plan this year and having to hand over money will throw me off course :)

Also, I hate failing - to a fault.

Also, don't forget I'm still in the midst of my most recent 30 day goal. I wanted to lose 4 pounds which, consequently, would put me right on track for my July 1st deadline. However, things didn't go according to plan. Not gonna stress, it is what it is. I'm up .8 pounds. I have 16 days left for my 30 days to lose 4 pounds (well, 4.8 pounds) and I'm going to do everything I can to move closer to that goal.

Yes, I got sick but it doesn't mean I can't get right back into eating at my calorie goal and exercising.

So today's goal is to eat 1200 - 1300 calories and take a walk on my lunch break.

And I'm going to go take care of that walk right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.