Friday, August 9, 2013

Weight Watchers Weigh In: Week 47 & Whole30 Results

I haven't been this happy to see a Friday in a looooooong time.

Only because my Whole30 is officially over (HOORAY) and tomorrow is pizza day.

It's the little things in life.

Weigh in:  +/- 0

Awww.  I was hoping for at least a little loss.  I even stuck to the rules of my Whole30 til my weigh-in. 

Oh Well.  I will say one of the best things about doing a Whole30 is that when I would have a weigh-in, I didn't sweat getting on the scale.  At ALL.  Simply because I knew I was eating pretty darn perfectly.  So whatever happened on the scale, I just chalked it up to my body doing it's thing.  I didn't really care because I was already working out and eating as clean as humanly possible so there was nothing left for me to tweak!  

Add that one to the list of good things about the Whole30 folks.

Now what I did this week:

1.  I earned around 18 AP.  I did SIX Jillian Michaels workouts.  And I kicked butt every single time.

2.  I ate 214 points.  WOO HOO!! Finally got that total up to where it should be.

3.  Water is officially my beverage of choice these days!  In fact, I haven't had a soda at all this year.  My boyfriend actually pointed this out to me last night.  I wasn't really a big soda drinker to begin with but still, I think that's excellent.  I'm a big proponent of never drinking soda regardless of your weight.  I have one family member who had a giant soda problem.  He would go through a case of diet dr. pepper like every day or two by himself.  BY HIMSELF.  He never had a weight problem in his life but he now has a neurological disorder that his doctors attribute to over-consumption of artificial sweetener from the soda.  Something to think about.

4.  What I ate?  I ate what I was supposed to eat.  Breakfast casserole with veggies, zucchini noodles with a seafood tomato sauce, steak with veggies and mushrooms, salads, fruit, almonds, ... you get the picture.

And now for my Whole30 results.

I don't really know how to handle my Whole30 results.  The rules of the program are you are NOT supposed to weigh yourself during the entirety of the 30 days.  I obviously didn't do that and continued my weigh-ins as per usual.

That's where this gets tricky.  If I had done the program to their rules, I would have weighed myself on the morning of July 9 (Day 1) and logged that number (which I did) and then waited until the morning of August 8 (Day 31) to weigh myself again (which I also did).  And If I had followed that protocol, the numbers would have told you that I lost 10.2 pounds in 30 days.

But I didn't do that.  I continued my weekly weigh-ins.  I started the Whole30 on Tuesday July 9th but the tricky part is my last "official" weigh-in was Friday, June 28th so while I was blogging I used that last "official" number as the starting number.  So if you go by my blog posts, I lost 3.2 pounds in 30 days.

Which is right?  Both I guess.  It just depends on how you want to look at it.

I know most people are going to try the Whole30 for weight loss even though a lot of the success stories in the book are from people who have body ailments that get healed (tendonitis, skin problems, digestive issues etc.).

I know one of the reasons I wanted to try it was because people were spouting about losing upwards of 15 pounds in 30 days.  How can that NOT be motivating?  In any case, I thought it was important to give you both sets of numbers.

I don't care which one is accurate because I lost inches.  Which, for me, is more important.  A 10 pound weight loss matters not if you don't get smaller in the process.  So because I lost inches, I don't care if it was 10 pounds or 3 pounds, I still lost the same amount of inches.  But don't forget, I was doing my Jillian Michaels challenge at the same time so I was working out too.

Here are the numbers:

Start
Chest: 39.5
 Ribs:   32.5
Waist: 33.5
Hips:    41
Belly Button:  34
Upper Thigh: 22.75
Leg @ Knee: 17
Left Arm: 12.75

End
Chest:  39 
Ribs:   32
Waist: 32
Hips:    40
Belly Button: 33 
Upper Thigh: 22.5
Leg @ Knee: 17
Left Arm: 11.25

Total inches lost:  -6.25"

And here are the pics:



The area I lost the most from is probably the least recognizable from the pics.  It was from my waist and hip area.  My hips aren't as wide now and my waist is a little more defined.  I know I lost inches from that area because I can fit into pants that didn't fit prior.  And the difference in my clothes is pretty amazing so I figured the pictures would definitely reflect that but I don't think it's as noticeable in a picture as it is to me.  No matter.  I'm pleased to be able to add some pieces of clothing to my wardrobe that were previously too tight!

And there you have it folks.  Nothing too major for me.  But as a disclaimer, I've never lost weight quickly or easily.  It takes me longer than an average person to lose weight.  It's something I've had to learn to deal with over the years.  I don't always deal with it very well but I do my best to work with what I have. 

Case and point.  My boyfriend did the Whole30 with me.   We ate the same foods every day except he would add in a couple pieces of fruit or extra protein to pad his calories because he eats more than I do.  We both also workout usually 5 days a week.  However, he does ride his bike to work 5 days a week so in addition to his regular workouts, he automatically gets in the extra cardio from his bike.

His Whole30 results?  He lost 20 pounds.  And he needed to lose maybe five.  When I first heard his results I was, of course, jealous.  But after some time, I decided to use his results as encouragement.  I did the exact same things as he did.  I ate the same food, I got in my workouts.  Therefore, my results were the best that my body could give me.  I was already aware of my body's sluggish metabolism (it's documented somewhere on this blog - I had it tested YEARS ago and they told me it was -18% slower than it should be).  I am acutely aware that I've always had a hard time losing weight so I should be proud of my accomplishments.  I didn't cheat on the diet.  I ate as perfectly as a human being can eat and I did my workouts when I could.  And no, I didn't lose 20 pounds but I lost some and I lost inches.  So, I am very happy with my results.  I mean, hey, I could have not done anything at all and gained weight during that time.

Right?

So, we're taking the weekend off and then I'm going to hit it again.  I'm going to do an almost Whole30 as best I can until we leave for vacation at the end of the month.  And after vacation, we're going to be at it again until I get to where I want to be.  And he is determined to do it with me until I reach my goal.

Isn't he the best??

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I think those results are amazing, and you should be proud of yourself. I totally see the difference in your before & after pics. We are our own harshest critics, but I think you rocked it Jen!
    xoxo,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.