Monday, June 4, 2012

p90x Lives!

My elbow is definitely getting better but very far from perfect.  I'm also pretty sure I'm out of the woods as far as needing a doctor is concerned.  Here's the thing, I know my elbow needs to rest but I've very agitated with the standing around waiting to see when it will be fully operational so I've decided to move on. 

Here is my 2-part plan:

First, today is my official first day of Insanity.  Hoorah!!! New program, new start which means new measurements and pictures will be taken this evening before my Fit Test!!!  9 weeks of hell lie before me.

Second, I'm going to finish p90x.  True, I can't do anything that involves my left elbow but I CAN workout my lower body AND my right arm.  This will severely limit my workout time and which workouts I can do so I figure I can try to handle both for the next 2 weeks so that I can finish weeks 11 and 12 thus completing p90x with my head held high.  There is a week 13 but it's a recovery week so I'll just do a week of Insanity and call it even.

I could not just sit by and watch my 10 hard weeks of p90x fall by the wayside.  I figure if I have good, working parts then I should be working them out!

So this week will be my week 11 which calls for:  Chest and Back, Shoulders and Arms, and Legs and Back.  I will only be doing Shoulders and Arms (right side only) and Legs and Back (no pull-ups).  Chest and Back is 99% push-ups and pull-ups which are definitely out. 



I've actually read several places that continuing to train unilaterally while injured actually helps.   I found this study.  Long story short, participants wore a cast on their non-dominant arm and continued to do strength training exercise with their free arm.  The findings showed that continuing to strength train the "free arm" reduced the loss in strength during the period of immobilization.

Thanks research!!

Today's Menu:

B:  2 eggs + coffee
S:  Turkey + Swiss Sandwich
L:  Chicken Breasts + Barley
D:  Maybe a Caprese Salad, maybe Spaghetti with Meat Sauce - Yes, I'm feeling Italian today!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.