Monday, July 9, 2012

Trying to Work Out

Just wanted to give an update on my progress.  I am still working out but am dealing with another injury.  I just got back from the doctor's office and I have torn some muscles around my ribs.  And trust me, it is as unpleasant as it sounds.

I got the go ahead to continue to exercise but not to do anything that causes any pain.  So no twisting, turning, jarring movements.  I think I'm pretty safe with walking, running, biking, and the elliptical (the one with no arms).  I can't do any lifting with my upper body (no problem because the elbow is still out of commission) and the lower body needs to be done with caution as squatting and lunging requires the particular muscles that I've torn.

My body is broken.

The key is to keep moving.  Within reason.  The good part is that the more I move the better I feel.  When I sit for too long then the pain sets in.

As for progress.  I'm still making gains in the lean mass category.  I have had very minimal fat loss.  Since I ended round 1 I have gained 3 pounds of muscle and lost 0.1 pounds of fat.  Unfortunately, I do not want any more muscle gain.  I have plenty and I'm starting to look bulky.  I need fat loss.  That means only one thing.  Calorie deficit.  And apparently I'm not in one.

Calorie restriction is not my friend.  I'm really good at working out but really bad at staying within my calories.  I have no choice though.  If I want the fat to come off I have to watch how much goes in my mouth.

So diet now needs to become my focus more so than it is.  In fact, due to a friend's request, I have decided to go vegetarian for one week.  I have a friend who had to change her diet for health reasons.  She started out as vegetarian and moved to vegan recently to help out a condition she has.  She is loving it so far and honestly, looks great.  So I told her I'd give the vegetarian a try.  Well, Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.  I honestly have no fear about doing this because little known fact, I really don't like meat at all!  I know I need my protein to keep my muscles strong so I eat it.  However, when I made my menu for this week I had to be creative to keep the protein content up.  I'm pretty happy with what I came up with and will let you know how it goes!

Today's Menu:

B:  Oatmeal + Coffee
L:  WW noodles mixed with Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese topped with Chunky Vegetable Tomato Sauce and RF Cheddar Cheese (1/2 serving)
S:  1/2 serving of above
D:  Roasted Ratatouille with Baked Eggs







No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.