Thursday, February 14, 2013

2013 Weight Update

It's Valentine's Day.  I actually kind of forgot until I was driving to work and saw a delivery man carrying dozens of roses to someone's front door.

I have NEVER been a fan of Valentine's Day.  Probably the only girl in the world to not care about this holiday.  It's not that I don't take today to tell the bf how much I appreciate him, it's just that I'm lucky enough to not need one special day out of the year for this to happen.  We're both really good at telling the other all the time all that stuff.  I don't know why, but this holiday is just not my thing.  I'll leave it at that.

It wasn't Valentine's Day that prompted me to write an update today but rather the fact that it's the 14th of February - the halfway mark of the month.  Also, it's been 6 weeks since I made all of these dietary changes and I want to give a recap of all that's happened. 

The following will be, in no particular order, everything I've experienced over the past 6 weeks.

I found out I couldn't eat gluten.  In fact, it made me horribly sick.  In all honesty, both my boyfriend and I had an inkling this would happen before we ever "tested" it.  I usually get some weird reactions when I eat bread or wheat items so I wasn't shocked.  I was, however, shocked at how horrendous it made me feel.

I'm walking a fine line with dairy.  It didn't hit me as fast as the gluten but it still was a little rough.  This also did not shock me because most of the women in my family have a hard time digesting dairy and it usually hits them in the latter half of their life.  I do have hope for dairy in the future.

I can eat eggs!  I'm really happy about that because they're nice little protein packed balls of goodness that are really versatile.  Plus they taste good.

My skin still looks great.  In fact, a co-worker told me a few weeks ago I was "glowing".  He is fully aware of my diet change and he told me that not only was I glowing but I seemed happier.  He said my demeanor had changed and he feels certain it's my diet.  I agree.

My digestion is probably normal for the first time in years.  I usually get crazy heartburn and I bloat and all of those other unpleasant things.  It really has cut down considerably.

I have lost 10 pounds since January 2nd.  Yeah, that's the most I've ever lost in 6 weeks.  EVER.  Also, I have had a loss 5 out of the 6 weeks.  Not bad at all.  In fact, my initial 6 weeks of Weight Watchers (I started back in September) I lost 5.2 pounds the first 6 weeks (I had a loss 4 out of 6 weeks).  That involved me eating what I would consider a very normal diet.  Lots of low calorie items.  Plenty of fruits and vegetables and other good items.  Having a lean cuisine here and there.  You know using my points as best as possible.  And of course, having a splurge on the weekends, and exercising 5-6 days a week. This time, I have not exercised a single day.  I'm not bragging nor am I saying one does not need to workout.  I emphatically believe in the goodness of working out.  I'm just pointing out a fact.  Due to my arm and back pain I did not do much.  But I plan to start.  Ugh.  Friday.  For real this time.

And I think the biggest change that has occurred in me is that when I started Weight Watchers back in September, I followed the program, I had some success but I never felt like I was in control.  THAT is the main difference.  For the past 6 weeks, I have felt in CONTROL.  Food doesn't "yell" at me anymore.  There are days where I'll think "wow, that WOULD taste good" but it's different.  I can think it without some driving desire that makes me think I HAVE to have that food at that moment.  I used to come home from work and tell my boyfriend "we're getting this or that and we're getting it now.  I don't care if I don't have the points".   That's a little embarrassing to admit but it's true.

And finally, I've come to a place where it just feels like it's normal.  This is how I eat.  I do wonder if one day I'll just throw my hands up in the air and go back to a "normal" diet.  Or what will happen if I eat fast food.  I wonder if I'll immediately go bonkers and binge on everything in site despite the chance I'll get ill.  Will I gain weight overnight and never be able to get it off again.  You know, I think about all these things.

The only answer I can come up with is that it's the quality of food that makes a difference.  Taking out processed foods and eating everything in whole form is probably what your body wants.  If you think about it, it makes sense.

So that's my update thus far.  I have another weigh-in tomorrow and I'm going to start working out.  Hopefully my body will cooperate and it'll be painless.  I'm actually curious to see what happens with my weight loss once I start working out again.  I'll be honest, I have this fear that it will stop.  Or worse, that I'll gain.  But I know it needs to be done.  So tomorrow is the day.

Wish me luck.

Today's Menu:
B: coconut milk + pea rice protein (chocolate) + coffee
L:  salmon + steamed veggies + quinoa tabouli
D:  orange ginger chicken salad + soup au pistou









No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.