Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sushi and cupcakes and the gym .. oh my!

It's Saturday. That means I have successfully maneuvered my way around 4 days of sugar free living.

Friday was the true test. I started the day off well by getting up early for my morning walk, but I guess I was dragging a little getting ready for work because I wound up not having enough time to pack my lunch. I had a contingency plan: I managed to pack some veggie sticks w/ dip and I decided that I would eat those and go to the pizza place that's next to my office for lunch. No, not for pizza. They make one of the best little salads ever- lots of veggies and kidney beans. It's delicious and very filling.

But life as it seems always has other plans. I was invited by one of my good friends to go out for lunch. Not a problem. I can find something to eat most anywhere. Then he makes us reservations at what is arguably the best sushi place in Los Angeles. This sushi place I only get to frequent every once in awhile due to the price and of course I get the opportunity to go smack dab in the middle of my challenge. Now, there are some sushi places out here that will gladly serve you brown rice in place of the traditional sushi rice but this place is a purist sushi restaurants. No substitutions. I made a plan of attack and was set on sticking with. He hadn't been to this restaurant in years so I did the ordering for the table. I ordered him my favorites - rock shrimp tempura, baked crab roll, 4 1/2, crispy rice spicy tuna. For me, I ordered salmon sashimi (that's just raw salmon without rice), seared ahi tuna w/ mustard sauce (has no rice and is garnished with a small salad), and miso soup.

The food came out. I had ordered him a lot and he told me that if I wanted to cheat I was more than welcome to his food. I won't lie. It was difficult. I sat there and watched him eat these things KNOWING how good they tasted. But, in the end, I stuck w/ my own choices. I'll be honest, they have amazing fish so it's not like I was short changed. The salmon melts like butter in your mouth. Delicious!

I went back to work thoroughly proud of myself for sticking to my guns, making a decision and enjoying my choice. However, I got back to my office desk and stopped dead in my tracks. Sitting in front of my computer was a cupcake. A delicious, sprinkled, sweet smelling cupcake. I'm not lying when I say I could smell it before I saw it.

I just started laughing because I had just gotten through one of the biggest temptations at the sushi restaurant and I was hoping I had enough in my reserves to forgo the cupcake.

I held it, I took inhaled the sweet aroma. I laughed and took a picture of it to send my friend who I had just left. I found out one of our clients sent them to us as a thank you so I took it to my colleague and told her I wasn't eating sugar this week and to send it home to her daughter. Success!

But my day wasn't over yet. I was already mentally exhausted from all the will power I was having to dish out to ward off sugar, and after work I still had to hit the gym to get in 70 minutes to make my exercise challenge for the week. That was also rough but I did it.

All in all a very successful day. I just hope I have the strength to get through the weekend :)

Exercise Challenge Totals:
250 / 250 week 4

Sugar Challenge:
4 / 7 days completed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.